Everyday Sandwich Bread. Vegan

Print Friendly and PDF

You know what, I realized that I have not posted a regular bread in a long while! Every week I end up baking some form of bread .. mutligrain, fruity, experimental random ones,(see the faux sourdough gf bread picture on the FB page). A plain bread comes out the oven probably once a month, but never sees the camera:) This time though, it did get clicked.

One of these days I will take a start to finish picture set. I hope the camera survives the flour and dough smudges!

This weekend we did a ton of cooking, some Tempeh Makhani(Tempeh in creamy sauce, a mighter and less tangy version of Tikka masala. Tikka Masala is on the Cook and Eat with me Class for the FundRaiser :)), Yellow Lentil Daal with Brussels Sprouts, Dassana's Kashmiri Dum aloo(Non fried and vegan version), Rice and Naan! Entertaining is fun, but now I have loads of leftovers:)



I made this bread a week back and finally decided to post it. Its a great Sandwich bread, with half whole wheat and half bread flour. Its not totally white and its not dense like a all whole wheat bread. The bread goes well with anything and everything. What can you do with it apart from the usual sandwiches! you can make these Samoa French Toasts!

Edit the taste to your preference, add spices, or herbs and a little more salt for a herbed loaf or some cinnamon and added sugar for a cinnamon loaf. You can make a white loaf by substituting the wheat flour with bread flour(add a bit more bread flour while kneading).



Ingredients: 8.5 by 4.5 medium loaf
1 cup warm water
1.5 cups whole wheat flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1.25 + cups bread flour
1 Tablespoons agave syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon raw sugar
2 teaspoons active yeast (Red Star)
1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil

Variations:
Add 1-2 Tablespoons non dairy yogurt,
Replace 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup almond milk(half the amount of liquid)

Directions:
In a large bowl, add 2 Tablespoons warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar and yeast. Mix and let sit until frothy(10 minutes).
Add salt to the 1.5 cups wheat flour and mix. Add wheat flour and 1 cup bread flour to the yeast mix,
Add agave, oil, rest of the water and knead 6-8 minutes in stand mixer or 8-10 minutes by hand.
If the dough is sticky, then add a little bread flour until the the dough is soft and almost not sticky.
Place dough in well greased container. Cover with towel and let sit for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
Punch dough down, use a Tablespoon or so bread flour to help make the dough less sticky.
Pull a bit on all sides and tuck under to get a taut top. Place the tucked side down on parchment lined or well greased bread pan.
Spray water liberally on top, then sprinkle some flour or oats on top.
Cover with towel and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled.
Bake at 365 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until a tap on he top sounds hollow.
Cool completely before slicing.

Note: To get nice slices, cool the bread in the refrigerator for atleast an hour before slicing. Also if possible use an electric knife:).



If you havent already, check out the FundRaiser page, also on the tabs on top, to see the ever growing list of raffle items! Counting down and growing a couple of white hair with all the things that need to be done:)

I am thinking of adding small picture thumbnails with the items on Raffle list. Though that might increase the length of the page and hence increase the scrolling needed to look through the list.. Thoughts?


45 comments:

  1. Beautiful breads!!!!I love making bread and I haven't in so long. I love the feel of the dough in my hand and the aroma in the kitchen when the bread has reached the oven. I'm living vicariously. I must check out your fundraiser and do something about it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep.. Bread is my go to stress releiver!
      Thanks Gigi!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There a linky tool which gets attached to the post and people can link up their posts if it works with the theme. For eg. I have this month long Berry blog hop on this post http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com/2012/04/berry-blog-hop-blueberry-almond-yeast.html
      Where anyone with berry recipes can link up and see other berry recipes from other bloggers!

      Delete
  3. Wow - this bread looks mighty fabulous! Gorgeous photos too - Happy Monday girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a perfect and gorgeous loaf of bread, it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow perfectly baked bread...impressed....awesome clicks too!

    SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect bread. your pics are reminding me about the bread i baked few days ago and the pics i took are similar.

    making bread at home is so good and fun as well, especially when you see the dough doubling and rising and when it is getting baked the house smells so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the mention also richa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bread looks beautiful--I'm also impressed by your ability to cut perfect slices. I mangle bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie!. the key is to cool the bread in the refrigerator for half an hour before slicing. Also if possible use an electric knife:)

      Delete
  9. Richa you totally have bread making down to a science, this looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather.. I am more by the feel and taste cook. So if the dough feels right , it should yield a good loaf of bread!

      Delete
  10. I am eagerly waiting for the baking event.Loved the simple everyday bread..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manali. Once I get this fundraiser started i will have time to set up a class!

      Delete
  11. That looks and sounds ingenius! first Tiramisu French Toast and then it gets even better with Gulab Jamun French Toast. Your my hero for the later one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks helene! that one is my mom's quick version for gulab jamun, :)

      Delete
  12. This looks so yummy! I miss the smell of warm bread in the house and this has inspired me to get back in the kitchen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky. I need to smell bread once a week :)

      Delete
  13. Oh man! I've been looking for a good sandwich bread recipe for so long!! Especially since none of the store-bought loaves are vegan. Thank you for this! :) I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) I havent eaten a store bough bread in a while. I dont like them anymore. Hope yours comes out great! ping me if you have any questions:)

      Delete
  14. Looks gorgeous! I love the addition of the agave nectar:-) YUM! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  15. This bread looks amazing Richa!! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bread looks beautiful! The recipe sounds wonderful. It's a great recipe to have on hand, and it's great that it is vegan too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a really nice crumb! I haven't made bread in weeks, due to bake sales and such, I really need to bake something for myself again. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great recipe! Kind of random but how many slices do you usually cut this into?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bread looks wonderful. Gorgeous photos too. Its a great Sandwich bread. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have doubled the recipe because I had a bigger pan, and added various seeds in it (poppy, flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds), it tasted absolutely delicious! Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! Just thought you might want to know that we linked to your blog today. http://rooted-vegan.blogspot.com/2013/02/vegan-baked-good-link-roundup.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Do you think I can make this using all whole wheat flour or maybe a mix of whole wheat and spelt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rena,
      You can use half spelt and half whole wheat and make the bread. Knead longer and keep the dough quite moist.

      Delete
  23. Thanks for posting this.
    Would it make a difference if I skip agave syrup ? I like it but don't have it right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you can skip the agave, just add another tsp of sugar.

      Delete
  24. Thanks for posting this.
    Would it make a difference if I skip agave syrup ? I like it but don't have it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Richa,
    I started this yummy looking bread with great excitement but I left it for 2-3 hours still the dough did not double up. Could it be because I used all whole wheat flour and no bread flour?
    Sad Me !
    Preeti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can also be because of the yeast and water content. with whole wheat flour, you need more water to make a soft dough. if the dough is too stiff/hard, it doesnt rise much. It also depends on the yeast, if the yeast is old, it might not work as well. Add another teaspoon yeast. Did the yeast get frothy when you let it sit with the warm water?

      Delete
  26. Hello! So I made this lovely bread yesterday and it came out a quite small loaf. On the first rise I let it go an extra half hour to get it near doubled, and on the second rise it went about an hour but wasn't doubled. Our kitchen was about 71 degrees F, so pretty warm. Should I have just let it rise longer? It delicious, but would prefer a full-sized loaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a medium size loaf. I used a medium size bread pan 8.5 by 4.5 inches. the rise depends on the yeast also. you can double the recipe and bake in a 9.25 by 5.25 size bread pan. which will be about 2 lb loaf.

      Delete
    2. and yes, let it rise for a bit longer. if the bread was kneaded well, the dome will hold nicely with a doubled up size.

      Delete

All content on this blog, including the photography and written text, are my creative and hard work, owned by ©Richa Hingle, which means it is Copyrighted with All Rights Reserved. Links and excerpts can be used with credit and a link back to the blog. Recipes, Ingredients, Method, Photography CANNOT be Copied or republished. No work from this blog may be used for republishing and for commercial purposes without our permission. Please contact richahingle (at) gmail (dot) com for permission, questions and inquiries. Thank you.
 

Popular Posts

Featured On

Meet The Author


Hi! I am Richa. I love to whip up plant-based meals which make me and hubbs swoon and not miss any animal or animal products in them. Find out more About Me here.


Get the latest updates from Vegan Richa by Email!



Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter below