Carrot Cake Ice cream with Cashew Sour cream, and Ginger Molasses Cookie Ice cream Sandwiches. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF
Vegan Carrot Cake Ice cream
Vegan Month of food(Mofo) continues with this ridiculously awesome Ice cream!
Roasted Carrots, check, loads of spices, check, cashew sour cream check, made from scratch, check, candied walnuts check. No Ice cream maker, check :). Carrot Cake Ice cream, hell yes check!

The easiest Carrot cake Ice cream would be to add some crumbled up carrot cake, spices and vegan sour cream into coconut milk or non dairy milk and freeze. But I decided I needed to make some from scratch. It is much more satisfying to be able to create something on your own right:) and also know all the ingredients that went in! So here it is. Roast the carrots, puree them with coconut milk. Yes! no need to stand and grate them carrots!;) Add in the spices. Roast some walnuts with spices and sugar to get fragrant candied walnuts. Whip up some sour cream from soaked cashews. Fold all of that in, freeze, scoop, enjoy.

I did not use an Ice cream maker and did not add any starch too. Without the starch and no churning, there is a teeny bit crystallization, but there is so much going on in the Ice cream, that it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that the ice cream doesn't look as pretty. It is difficult to scoop nice scoops from an un-churned ice cream. :)
You can add a Tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot starch. Mix it into a 1/4 cup non dairy milk. Mix, Bring to a boil, and add to the Ice cream mixture for a more custardy, less crystallized version. Or use an Ice cream maker. I haven't had the time to search for a good one. Please leave me suggestions for a good not too expensive Ice cream maker so I can make more Ice creams (even if it is getting chilly out here in the northwest):)

Remember these awesome Whole grain Triple ginger Molasses Soft cookies....

Vegan Triple Ginger Molasses Cookies

Add some of this Ice cream between 2 for some fantastic Ice cream sandwich. Press and freeze individual sammies in plastic wrap.
Which is quite difficult to  withdo a no churn ice cream. :) Please excuse the mess.

Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookie Carrot Cake Ice Cream Sandwich

More Ice cream things on the blog. 
This No churn No Banana Chunky Strawberry Ice cream
this Kesar Kulfi
this Vanilla coconut Ice cream with Kiwis and Almonds
this Easy Banana Chai spice Ice cream

Steps:
Roast and candy the walnuts.



Roast the carrots.



Make sour cream.. Yes, my magic bullet still works fine for small quantities of creamy cashew cream. Add very little water until the cashews are all well blended. A bit more water and it will always leave some cashew pieces. this is of course not a problem with a good blender. 



Blend carrots and coconut milk and spices.
Add candied walnuts. 



Add sour cream. Sprinkle some cinnamon. Swirl in it, but do not mix completely.



Freeze until almost frozen, a few hours. Scoop and serve.

See them Candied walnuts and the Sour cream ribbons in the below picture.. deliciousness. 

Inspired by David Lebovitz's Carrot Cake ice cream and Savory Notes's Carrot ginger Ice cream

Vegan Carrot Cake Ice cream with roasted carrots, candied walnuts and cashew sour cream

Soften and add between ginger molasses soft cookies to make a sandwich!



Vegan Carrot Cake Ice cream
Allergy Information: Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast, gluten.

Ingredients:
For the Candied Walnuts:
3/4 cups broken walnuts or pecans or other nuts
1 Tablespoon ground raw sugar or other fine vegan sugar
a generous pinch of salt
a generous pinch of powdered cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger

For the Sour cream:
1/2 cup cashews soaked
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon raw sugar

For the Ice cream:
1 loaded cup chopped carrots (1-2 inch pieces)
1 can full-fat Coconut milk (13.5 oz, a little less than 2 cups)
1/2 cup almond milk
1/3 cup ground raw sugar( 1/2 cup for sweeter)
1/2+ tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp cloves powder
1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method:
Make the Candied walnuts:
Add oil to pan on medium heat. Add chopped walnuts and roast for 1-2 minutes. Stir frequently. Add the sugar, salt and spices and mix well. Continue to cook till the sugar caramelizes and sticks to the walnuts.

Make the Sour cream:
Blend the drained soaked cashews and all the ingredients with a few Tablespoons of water to make a thick cream. Taste and adjust salt and tang if needed.

Roast the carrots:
Toss the carrots in a teaspoon of oil and bake at 380 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Bake longer for larger quantity. Roast the carrots till golden on the outside.

Make the ice cream:
Puree the roasted carrots with one cup of coconut milk until well blended.
Add the sugar, spices, salt and the rest of the coconut milk and almond milk and blend. Taste and adjust sweet and spice. Pour into ice cream container.
Add the candied walnuts and fold in. Add in the sour cream, lightly sprinkle some more cinnamon on top and fold in. Do not mix too much.
If using an ice cream maker, let the spiced carrot puree ice cream churn, then fold in the walnuts and sour cream just before placing in freezer.
Freeze for a few hours then scoop and serve. 

Notes:
Add a Tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot starch. Mix it into a 1/4 cup of the coconut milk. Mix, Bring to a boil, and mix well into the carrot puree mixture for a more custard-y ice cream like the Chunky Strawberry Ice cream. Or use any of these methods to make Ice cream without a maker.
Add more carrot or spices to taste. 

To make the Ice cream Sandwich, make these Triple ginger Molasses Soft cookies
Freeze the ice cream in a brownie pan to about an inch thickness. Once almost frozen, take a cookie cutter and cut out the ice cream. Place ice cream between 2 cookies, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. 





This ice cream is being shared at Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays. Allergy Free Wednesdays, Ricki's wellness weekend

31 comments:

  1. Aah these look fantastic! We don't have an ice cream maker either, so no-churn ice cream is always exciting to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mosied on over to your site to eye some delicious carrot cake ice creme. My fave. I think I used to get one by "Good Karma" but then it had too much sugar. I came over for a looksee even before I knew that you didn't use an ice creme maker. I had a Kitchen Aid ice cream maker but it busted :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm i havent tried the good karma one. yeah this is just about right. i decided against candy-ing the carrots to keep it low sugar

      Delete
  3. PS this looks like a fantastic replacement. Looks like I might not need to replace my stupid busted ice creme maker any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg..omg..that looks insanely delicious.Wow..awesome pics.I want to eat that now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a little Cuisinart ice cream maker. It's not very expensive and does the trick. Apparently it's also on super sale at Williams Sonoma right now too! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/2397255/?catalogId=47&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Electrics&cm_pla=Specialty_Electrics&cm_ite=Cuisinart_Ice_Cream_Maker_with_Extra_Freezer_Bowl%2C_White_%7C_Williams-Sonoma&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=35-63911826-2

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG this looks absolutely unbelievable!!! I can't wait to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This might be my favorite of all of your recipes...and it's going onto the Make As Soon As Possible list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks simply divine, Richa! I haven't actually had the urge to make any ice cream this year until now. Probably because it's fall, and this just screams the season with all those lovely warming spices. I'm going to have to try this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that making things from scratch is so much better and rewarding at the end. And I never thought of translating carrot cake into an ice cream -- brilliant idea Richa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrot Cake Ice cream looks yum!! Who would have thought of carrot cake ice cream? Definitely gonna try it out. I recently got a Cuisinart ICE-21 series ice cream maker, it has pretty good reviews and not very expensive either. You can also look into Cuisinart Pure Indulgence series, they have a good rating too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks awesome... looks like great effort...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you. I could eat this for the next five years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The comment above actually sums up what I was thinking to a T! Just to check - I don't have to put this through an ice cream maker - I can just freeze? If so, making a bath tub batch tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG OMG OMG duuuude! That is an amazing amazing ice cream. And those 'messy' sammiches look extra drool worthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah! That looks awesome and super easy to make. Going on the long list of to do recipes from your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are a genius, woman! these pictures look beautiful, too! i'll be dreaming about this uncle i make it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a clonky old ice cream maker somewhere but it would take me longer to find it than it would to make these I reckon. And they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Superdeliciousness!
    I bet this ice cream would be perfect with your Date Fig Burfi or on top of your Ginger Pancakes...yumza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw this on instagram and had to come and see the recipe! Sounds ridiculously good! Carrot cake is my favourite cake :) Even the candied walnuts alone sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this recipe looks awesome! And it's all melty and yummy! Carrot cake is awesome and this sounds soooo good! I like the idea of roasting the carrots first. Great way to get more flavor from them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of carrot cake ice cream, and LOVE the idea of putting it between ginger molasses cookies! I don't think I could possibly come up with a better or more perfect fall dessert recipe. I can't stop staring at the pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the sound of this. Especially the combination of Carrot Cake Ice Cream with Molasses Cookies - a little bit of fall heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These desserts are gorgeous! I'm craving for ice cream sandwiches now. Stop it, Richa, you're making me hungry in Buenos Aires!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made this last night and it was amazing delicious. I used pecans instead of walnuts and instead of making a sour cream, I just used Tofutti Cream Cheese. To combat any crystallization, I stirred the ice cream every hour or so until it was to the eatable stage ~3 hours. I should have let it freeze longer, but it was absolutely delicious and completely eaten up in about 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Carol! I am so glad you made it and loved it! 10 minutes is a record :)) awesome!!

      Delete
  25. Like the step by step instructions. Roasting the carrot is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't had time to comment, but I've been saving this post in my feed reader ever since you shared it. It combines everything wonderful about fall flavors, and sounds like the perfect way for me to embrace the season. Of course I would love most any ice cream treats, but this sounds beyond amazing!

    ReplyDelete

All content on this blog, including the photography and written text, are my creative and hard work, owned by ©Richa Hingle, which means it is Copyrighted with All Rights Reserved. Links and excerpts can be used with credit and a link back to the blog. Recipes, Ingredients, Method, Photography CANNOT be Copied or republished. No work from this blog may be used for republishing and for commercial purposes without our permission. Please contact richahingle (at) gmail (dot) com for permission, questions and inquiries. Thank you.
 

Popular Posts

Featured On

Meet The Author


Hi! I am Richa. I love to whip up plant-based meals which make me and hubbs swoon and not miss any animal or animal products in them. Find out more About Me here.


Get the latest updates from Vegan Richa by Email!



Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter below