Wheat and lentil bread

Print Friendly and PDF


I was wondering how lentils would work in bread. I wanted to make lentil flour bread, but i dint have that. So i mixed in some wheat flour with some boiled and mashed lentils :) . The bread took a little longer to cook and had a hard shell but the internal texture was quite nice and grainy. To avoid the hard shell, try using all purpose flour instead of wheat and add another 2 tsp oil.
Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup boiled lentils( i used yellow mung bean as it cooks quickly)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
  • 1/2 tsp garlic flakes
  • 2 tsp oil
  • 2 tsp melted butter
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup water
Directions:
  1. Boil lentils and cool.
  2. Mash the lentils and add salt, chili and garlic flakes
  3. Sift the wheat flour and baking powder.
  4. Make dough of flour, oil, lentil mix and water.
  5. Let it stand for 10 mins and knead again.
  6. Make a loaf and bake on baking sheet for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.
  7. Brush melted butter on top to keep it soft.
  8. Some flaxseed can be sprinkled on the top and also added in the dough for some extra texture.

1 comments:

  1. Richa, I had a bunch of lentils, so I decided to incorporate it into a soda bread. I used a combination of your recipe and this one:

    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/03/recipe-for-agave-sweetened-100-whole.html

    I ended up with this:

    whole wheat pastry flour 2 cups
    salt 1/2 tsp
    baking soda 1 tsp
    mashed lentil 1 cup
    apple sauce 1/4 cup
    eggs (can probably sub with 2 tbs flax "egg") 2
    buttermilk (can probably sub with non-dairy milk + vinegear) 1 cup
    maple syrup 1/4 cup

    I topped the above with sesame seeds and baked at 350 for about an hour.

    It turned out very moist and soft with a hearty flavor.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Will

    ReplyDelete

All content on this blog, including the photography and written text, are my creative and hard work, owned by ©Richa Hingle, which means it is Copyrighted with All Rights Reserved. Links and excerpts can be used with credit and a link back to the blog. Recipes, Ingredients, Method, Photography CANNOT be Copied or republished. No work from this blog may be used for republishing and for commercial purposes without our permission. Please contact richahingle (at) gmail (dot) com for permission, questions and inquiries. Thank you.
 

Popular Posts

Featured On

Meet The Author


Hi! I am Richa. I love to whip up plant-based meals which make me and hubbs swoon and not miss any animal or animal products in them. Find out more About Me here.


Get the latest updates from Vegan Richa by Email!



Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter below